Thursday, April 29, 2010

Me and RA


Prior to my diagnosis a few years back, it wasn’t uncommon for me to be up at 4:00 AM to make the 5:00 spin class, rush home to get the kids ready for school then meet a friend for a run and a coffee.    Life was good.  I was on top of the world!!!  Then it stopped. 
First on my list was to find a rheumatologist.  Easy, right?  Ya, I thought it would be too.    Who knew they were so busy?  I was put on three different appointment schedule books at three different offices and whoever called me first is where I was going to start.    Just call me a gambler!  A few weeks later, I’m off to meet my new doctor.    
My Rheumatologist and I hit it off immediately.  Comes to find out, he is also a runner so he totally understood the importance of getting me back on my feet as soon as possible.  However, this turned out to be a little more of a challenge then I/we were expecting.  I had a year of ups and downs, different medications, and regular cortisone shots in my feet and in my hands.   And as any runner knows,   when you can’t get that rush of endorphins, you tend to get a little cRaZy (or in my case, a LOT crazy!) My outlook on life was not as bright and cheery for this little miss sunshine as it used to be.   
Patience was something I had to learn when it came to my RA.  I wanted instant results.  I didn’t like hearing that it will take a couple months to build up in my body before they start to work.   I was starting feel like Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka.  I WANT IT and I WANT IT NOW!!! 
But let’s fast forward to now and things are better.  My current medication consists of Remicade, Methotrexate, Folic Acid, and some “happy pills” to keep my mind sound.    My flare-ups are rearing their ugly head a little more frequently these days but nothing to get too stressed about just yet.    I keep my outlook positive and take each day as it comes!   Off to my infusion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment